Here are 10 of my favourite puzzles. The answers are below – see how many you can solve and post your score below (be honest!). Good luck….
1) A rope ladder is hanging over the side of a ship, with the bottom rung just touching the water. The rungs are 25com apart. How many rungs will be under the water when the tide has risen 1 metre?
2) How many calendar months have 28 days?
3) If you are running in a marathon and you overtake the person in second position, what position are you in?
4) I have many keys but few locks. I have space but no room. You can enter, but you cannot come in. What am I?
5) You enter a dark house in the middle of the night. Inside is an oil lamp, a gas fire and a stove full of wood. You only have one match. What do you light first?
6) What gets wetter as it dries?
7) What is as light as a feather, but even the strongest man cannot hold it for more than a few minutes.
8) What sport begins with a ‘T’ and has 4 letters?
9) What occurs once in every minute, twice in every moment, yet never in a thousand years?
10) The maker does not need it, the buyer does not want to use it, and the user doesn’t see it. What is it?
And just before we get to the answers, here is a picture of my new book, 101 Bets You Will Always Win, which has lots more puzzles. Just thought I would mention it. Anyway, here are the answers….
- None. The ship will rise with the tide!
- They all do.
- Second position.
- A keyboard.
- The match
- A towel
- His breath
- The letter M
- A coffinAnd remember to post your score!